Our skin begins to lose its suppleness as we become older and this leads to the development of wrinkles and fine lines. In this article we will share how to keep your skin looking young secrets that you can use to delay the ageing process and keep it looking young and vibrant for a significantly longer period of time.
Maintaining the appearance of healthy and youthful skin is good as it boosts mood and improve overall outlook on life as an individual. It is also important to put in these routines as it aids facilitating you to be more conscious of your health.
How to Keep Your Skin Young and Fresh in 10 ways
Protect Your Skin from the Sun
One of the main causes of skin ageing is exposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays. To protect your skin, use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 every day, even in the winter or on cloudy days. Wear protective clothing, such as a hat and long-sleeved shirt, and seek shade during the peak hours of the day, when the sun is strongest.
So in theory, here are things to do:
- Use sunscreen every day, even if it’s cloudy.
- Apply at least one ounce of sunscreen (enough to fill a shot glass) at least 15 to 30 minutes before going outside. Also use a lip balm or lipstick that contains sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30.
- Choose a broad spectrum sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB radiation. Make sure it is water resistant and has a SPF of 30 or higher. Other sunscreens may help keep you from getting sunburned, but they won’t protect against skin cancer.
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours. Reapply every hour if you are swimming or sweating. share on twitter
- Be extra careful around water and sand. These surfaces reflect the damaging rays of the sun, which can increase your chance of getting a sunburn.
- Keep babies younger than 6 months old completely covered and in the shade.
- Limit the amount of time you’re in the sun between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM. This is when the sun’s rays are the most intense. Practice the shadow rule: if your shadow is shorter than you, the sun’s rays are at their strongest, and you should find shade.
- If possible, wear a long-sleeved shirt and long pants. Dark clothing with tightly woven fabric blocks more sun than white or loosely woven fabrics. For additional protection, look for clothes made with special sun-protective materials.
- Accessorize with a hat that shades your face, neck, and ears and a pair of sunglasses. Sunglasses with lenses that have 99% to 100% UV absorption provide optimal protection for the eyes and the surrounding skin.
- Be even more cautious if you are taking medications that may make you more sensitive to the sun. These include specific types of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, antifungals, blood pressure medications, and chemotherapies.
Adopt a Healthy Lifestyle
A healthy lifestyle can help keep your skin looking young and fresh. Eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and limit your intake of processed foods, sugar, and alcohol. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, and get regular exercise to improve blood flow to your skin.
- Make Exercise a Habit
If you are not used to complicated exercise routines, try walking. Increase your heart rate with 30-60 minutes of brisk walking. This is highly beneficial for your cardiovascular health. A healthy heart can pump blood effortlessly and can improve overall health and fitness. Short on time? Split your walks up into multiple walking segments versus all at once.
- Maintain a healthy weight through a balanced diet and exercise. You do not have to stress yourself out by doing awkward yoga poses or limiting your foods to eating salad day in and day out. Take baby steps in your transition by choosing healthier alternatives in food (Healthy Snacking) and try to do simple exercises even at work.
Cleanse Your Skin Regularly
Cleanse your skin twice a day to remove dirt, oil, and makeup. Use a gentle cleanser that won’t strip your skin of its natural oils. Avoid harsh scrubs or exfoliants that can damage your skin.
- HOW TO WASH YOUR FACE IN 3 STEPS
Cleansing should always be a part of your morning and evening routine, no matter your skin type or lifestyle.
- STEP 1: REMOVE YOUR MAKE-UP
Thoroughly wash your hands and ensure they’re clean before touching your face.
- The first thing to do is always remove any make-up. Opt for a micellar water or oil based make-up remover before cleansing to remove the days’ make-up.
- Double cleansing is a very effective way of removing make-up and grime where an oil based cleanser, balm or cleansing milk is first used to remove make-up and this is followed by a water based cleanser to remove any remaining dirt.
- STEP 2: CLEANSE YOUR FACE
How to clean your face may sound obvious, but it can actually be quite tricky. Always use a gentle non-abrasive cleanser without alcohol when washing your face. Use lukewarm water, not hot water when washing your face, as hot water can cause your skin to dry out.
- Cleanse with a sponge or washcloth, or with clean fingertips. Massage your cleanser onto a wet face and neck, but not for too long to prevent skin becoming dry. Avoid scrubbing your skin as this can cause irritation. Always rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water and pat dry, rather than rub dry to protect skin as much as possible.
- MAKE SURE TO USE THE RIGHT CLEANSER FOR YOUR SKIN TYPE
- If you have oily skin, try and avoid from face cleansing products containing wax or oil, as those only make your skin even more oily. If you have dry skin, face cleaning products with added moisturisers can prevent it from drying out even more.
- STEP 3: EXFOLIATE YOUR SKIN
When you exfoliate, you help boost your skin’s glow by getting rid of dead skin cells. Depending on the exfoliator you choose, you may not need to exfoliate every time you cleanse your face.
Moisturizing is key to keeping your skin hydrated and plump. Choose a moisturizer that is appropriate for your skin type and apply it every morning and evening. Look for products that contain ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, glycerin, or ceramides, which can help lock in moisture.
Use Anti-Aging Products
Anti-aging products can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Look for products that contain retinoids, which can stimulate collagen production and improve skin texture. Vitamin C is another powerful anti-ageing ingredient that can brighten your skin and protect it from environmental damage.
Get Enough Sleep
Getting enough sleep is essential for maintaining healthy, youthful-looking skin. Aim for seven to nine hours of sleep each night, and try to establish a consistent sleep schedule. Sleeping on your back can also help prevent wrinkles and fine lines from forming.
Stress can have a negative impact on your skin, causing it to become dull, dry, or inflamed. Manage your stress levels by practising relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, or yoga.
Smoking can cause premature ageing of the skin, making it look dull, wrinkled, and discoloured. If you smoke, quit as soon as possible to improve the overall health and appearance of your skin.
Treat Your Skin to Facial
Facials can help improve the appearance of your skin by removing dead skin cells, unclogging pores, and hydrating your skin. Consider treating yourself to a professional facial every few months or try a DIY facial at home using natural ingredients like honey, avocado, or yoghurt.
Consult a Dermatologist
If you’re concerned about the appearance of your skin or have specific skin issues, such as acne or rosacea, consult a dermatologist. They can recommend treatments or products that are tailored to your skin type and address any concerns you may have.
Protecting your skin from the sun, adopting a healthy lifestyle, regularly cleansing and moisturizing your skin, using anti-ageing products, managing stress, not smoking, giving your skin a facial, and consulting a dermatologist are all things that can help you keep your skin looking healthy and youthful for a longer period of time.
Leave a Reply