Rio Ferdinand Has Been Banned From Driving For Six Months.
The retired footballer – who played for Manchester United, Leeds United, West Ham and England throughout his career – has been convinced of speeding at the on the A27 dual carriageway in Hove, East Sussex on July 22 last year.
Today (18.08.20), the 41-year-old star was given the ban after being found to have hit 85mph – above the 70mph speed limit – in his new Mercedes.
He admitted the offence – which carried three penalty points – under the Single Justice Procedure Act.
The offence was added to the nine he already has, and thus triggered the automatic driving disqualification.
Appearing at Crawley Magistrates Court, Ferdinand argued a ban would amount to ”exceptional hardship” because he needs to drive his three kids – Lorenz, 13, Tate, 11, and nine-year-old Tia – to school and other activities.
He added that the coronavirus pandemic meant looking into a private driver or taxis wasn’t possible.
He also ruled out his wife Kate – who is pregnant with their first child together – from taking on driving duties.
He said: ”It’s very difficult with three children, with different activities and different times at school.”
However, magistrate Mr. Geoffrey Allen rejected the claim, and said: ”Unfortunately COVID has affected everybody in the world the same way.”
Ferdinand – who was banned from driving in 2012 for six months after speeding three times on the same road in a five-week period – has also been fined £670, with £85 costs, and ordered to pay a £67 victim surcharge.
Meanwhile, he was also convicted of speeding in 2002, 2003 and 2002, while he had a drink-driving conviction in 1997.
His most recent speeding offences were April 15, 2019, May 4, 2018 and March 16, 2017, with each adding three penalty points to his licence.