NYPD Officer Filmed Using Chokehold After Ban.
A video of New York police using Chokehold on a man has surfaced and the news right now is that the officer has been suspended. The NYPD has long banned chokeholds since the 2014 death of Eric Garner after an officer put him in a chokehold while trying to arrest him.
“We are aware of the video and there is an active investigation underway by the Internal Affairs Bureau,” the NYPD said in a statement. “This matter is taken extremely seriously and we expect to have an update this evening as the investigation unfolds.”
The NYPD has since suspended the officer in question. NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea announced the decision, Sunday.
“While a full investigation is still underway, there is no question in my mind that this immediate action is necessary,” Shea said.
NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a 10-bill police reform package into law earlier this month, which included a ban on chokeholds.
“Today NY took a major step toward justice by enacting landmark police reform,” Cuomo tweeted at the time. “To the activists and advocates who spoke out year after year, to all who marched and demanded justice in the last weeks, thank you. Your voices brought real change.”
Watch New Police Chokehold video below.